Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tips for Walking a Tradeshow

Not only is tomorrow Cinco de Mayo but it also happens to be the day of the NWPMA show.  For those who don't know what NWPMA stands for it's the Northwest Promotional Marketing Association.  It's the largest promotional products tradeshow in the Northwest with over 150 suppliers.  Many people like going to tradeshows to pick up swag; well this is a tradeshow dedicated to swag.

I thought today would be a great time to talk about the best way to get the most out of your tradeshow experience.  Here are my top 5 picks for the best way to get the most out of any tradeshow.

1.  Have a plan and stick to it.  Before I attend a show I check with all my clients to see what types of projects they are working on and what their needs are so that when I walk the show I have specific things I'm looking for.  In addition, I try to come away from any show with at least 3 great ideas.

2. Start anywhere but the left, right or center of the show.  I've seen it so many times first day of the show and as the doors open everyone runs either to the far left wall, the far right wall or right down the middle.  I like to start on the 4th or 5th aisle of either side as it's usually empty and I can take my time and chat with the suppliers I want to without feeling like I'm running with the bulls in Spain.

3.  Bring your video Camera.  I like to walk the show with my camera phone and video camera.  If I see a product or booth that catches my eye I can take a photo or video to show my clients later.  (They also come in handy when you need something for a blog article or social media piece.)  I like to take a moment and interview some of the vendors on video telling my clients the benefits of a product or case study in better detail than I can.

4.  Wear comfortable shoes.  Each year when I attend our large show in Vegas that takes up two floors of the Mandalay Bay Hotel with over 6500 suppliers I am always surprised to see how many people are wearing dress shoes or ladies in high heels.  I made the dress shoe mistake only once and practically couldn't walk the second day of the show.  Nice comfy tennis shoes will always be the best footwear to save on your feet.

5.  Avoid the time traps.  I can't tell you how many times I've been walking a show and somebody entices me into their booth often with the promise of free swag. (I know even I am not immune to the lure of free swag!)  Before I know it I've been standing there for 10 or 15 minutes wasting my time on something not that valuable.  I like to take a fairly quick trip through the show.  Once I'm done I go back and spend my remaining time talking to the suppliers I was most interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment