Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Creative Brainstorming

I read the following quote a few days ago and it's really stuck with me.  "There are so many people out there that will tell you that you can't.  What you've got to do is turn around and say watch me!" -Layne Beachley

I really think this holds true no matter what we do in life.  Every organization has plenty of people who will tell you why something can't be done.  Sure they serve a purpose but coming up with reasons why something won't work is easy.  I try to surround myself with people who can help brainstorm ways that things can be done.

Today I thought I would leave you with a few tips for creative brainstorming.

1.  Pick a time when you are most rested.  I'm a morning person so some of my best thinking comes when I first get into the office (after at least one cup of coffee) and before everyone starts bombarding me with projects and questions.

2.  Clear your mind.  I have a couple of ways I like to clear my mind to get the creative juices flowing.  One is to listen to a little music which can vary widely depending on my mood.  Today it's the new Lovestrong cd by Christina Perri (hauntingly beautiful voice check her out on iTunes.).  The other way I like to clear my mind is a great strenuous workout.  Some of my best thinking is done right after a run or 5 AM bootcamp.

3.  There are no stupid ideas.  Okay in all honesty there are some horrifically stupid ideas but for the process of creative brainstorming pretend there aren't.  Don't shoot down any idea out of hand.  Give yourself a set amount of time.  Give yourself 30 minutes or an hour.  In that time jot down as many ways as you can think of to solve your problem.  Brainstorming with a team is great if possible.  Again, in a group it's even more important to have a strict rule not to criticize anyone's ideas in the brainstorming process.

4.  Pick your top three solutions.  Once I've got a list of possible solutions I like to go back and rank them, or if I have a group available have them vote on the best solutions.  When finished you should have your three solutions you and your team think have the best chance of working.

5.  Now and only now hand your top ideas over to the pessimists.  Once you've come up with ideas you think will work hand them over to the people around you that are famous for telling you why something can't be done.  This is the one part of the process where there consistent negativity can benefit you as they might see a hole in your plan that needs to be patched.  Remember that you don't have to use their advice if you don't agree with it.  If they come up with legitimate challenge you can always start the brainstorming process over to find a way around that objection.

No comments:

Post a Comment