Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How to Avoid and Correct Mistakes

Mistakes happen!  We all like to think we don't make them but deep down if we search our souls we know we do.  Anyone who works with me will tell you I hate to make mistakes.  Yesterday's blog article was about ways to place rush orders and get products within a couple days.  No sooner had I published the article than I found out a rush order of very expensive pens had been poorly engraved.

One of the things I pride myself on as a promotional products distributor is that I stand behind every order.  If a mistake is made I will correct it and replace the product and do whatever is necessary to make it right with the client.

Today I thought we would focus in on a few tips to avoid mistakes and a few for how to fix them when they happen.

How to Avoid and Correct Mistakes:

1.  Only work with reputable suppliers.  Did you find that great deal on the internet at Fly by Night Promotions?  After ordering 1000 of the coolest widgets ever for next to nothing you get them only to find out they printed your logo entirely wrong.  You search in vain for a phone number on their website to contact them and even if you find one you are trapped in voice mail hell.  I have 100% product satisfaction guarantee and I only work with suppliers who stand behind their work.

2.  Get the details in writing.  Verbal conversations are fine but when I'm placing an order or following up on one I always ask my suppliers to please put the details of our conversation in a quick email and send it back.  It never hurts to have a paper trail and depending on the length of time it takes to place an order memories can become fuzzy but print is eternal.

3.  Fix the mistake then deal with whose fault it is.  Too many times when a mistake occurs I see people trying to ascertain where to place the blame.  While finding out how a problem occurred is an important part or mistake resolution it is not the most immediate step.  First meet the clients need.  If they need product in two days figure out how to get them what they want when they need it.  Their will be plenty of time for investigation later.

4.  Have a backup plan.  When it comes to rush orders or large dollar orders I like to always have a backup plan.  What are you going to do if product gets held up in customs?  What if a tornado shuts down production in a factory in the Midwest?  What if the overnight freight company loses your order?  I've had all of these happen and more.  It's always nice to have a backup plan in place just in case.

5.  How do we make sure that mistake doesn't occur again?  Anybody who has ever worked with me or for me knows I understand that mistakes are going to happen.  They also know the next thing I'm going to say is what can we do to ensure this type of problem doesn't happen again?

6.  Do everything with INTEGRITY!  It's not that difficult to say no problem I'll reprint that $100 order at my cost.  It's a little different to say no problem I'll reprint that $50000 order at my cost.  I've been fortunate to never have to eat a job that big.  I did have a supplier step up and admit they made a mistake and eat a job that was several thousand dollars.  The vendor maintained his integrity in what could have been a very horrible situation.  I can't tell you how many hundreds of times I've gone back to that supplier because I know they stand behind their products and their word.

No comments:

Post a Comment